Rotary Music Scholarship CompetitionPosted by: nancym 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Attention!! The Rotary Music Scholarship Competition application deadline is 12/31/17.
Last year, one of our students won $700! This is a fun local/regional event. More info is below.
2018 Music Scholarship Competition
Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:30 - 1:30 pm
Prizes: 1st $200, 2nd $125, Entrant $75
Rotary District 5340 Finals - March 2018
First Prize $2500 / $500 Each Finalist
The Coronado Rotary Club cordially invites you to enter the Rotary Music Scholarship Competition. The competition aims to recognize the high school senior who best demonstrates musical talent and love for instrumental music. Prize money will be awarded to all competitors at each level of competition: Club, Regional, and District Finals.
If you win at the local and regional contests, you will be eligible to compete in the Rotary District Finals.
By submitting this application, I certify that:
- I am a high school student living or attending school in Coronado.
- I intend to pursue music studies after high school.
- I will make every effort to participate at every level of the competition for which I qualify.
- I have read the rules of the competition and will abide by the decision of the judges.
** This year there is a preliminary competition at the CHS Black Box theatre to select 4 finalists for the Club Finals.
Please indicate preferred date and time: Wed Jan 17 or Thurs Jan 18 Time: ____________
Printed Name:_________________________ Signed Name:________________________
Student’s Home Address: _____________________________________________
Student’s Home Phone: __________________ Cell _____________________E-Mail: ___________________
Parent/Guardian Name: ________________________________________
Accompanist Instrument (if applicable): ____________________________
We look forward to hearing from you!
Application deadline is December 31, 2017!!
Send any questions and completed application to:
1532 Glorietta Blvd.
Coronado, CA 92118
Rotary District 5340
Youth Instrumental Music Contest
The purpose of the competition is to determine the musician who best demonstrates his/her musical talent and love for music. Prize money will be awarded at each level of completion: Rotary Club Contest, Rotary Area Contest, and at the District 5340 Final Contest where a Grand Prize of $2,500 will be awarded. The applicant will be notified of the dates and the location of the competition two weeks prior to the competition. The Rotary Club Contest (First Level) will be held in January 2018.
- 1. Open to High School age students (14 to 18) residing in the District 5340 region.
- 2. Limited to instrumentalist only. Any musical instrument is allowed.
- 3. Contestant must be Sponsored by a District 5340 Rotary Clubs
- 4. All contestants under the age of 18 must have parents or guardians signature.
- 5. Performance time will between 3 and 8 minutes, with strict penalties for over or under time the allowed time
- 6. Winner of any level (Club or Area) must be able to compete in the next level to be eligible for the prize money.
- 7. Contestant is responsible for all travel expenses.
- 8. Contestant is responsible for an accompaniment if needed.
- 9. Must provide 4 copies of music for the judges.
- 10. ll decisions of the judges is final and are based on musical ability, musical empathy/technique, interpretation and stage presence.
Musical ability, Tone Quality/Intonation (25%) Is the contestant familiar with the instrument being played and do they appear to have command of this particular instrumental
Musical empathy, Technique (25%) Note accuracy, attacks, release, articulations, rhythmic accuracy and precision.
Interpretation (25%) Includes concept of style, tempo, phasing and dynamics. Does the instrument respond to the contestant in a manner that makes it desirable to listen to and make the listener want to hear more.
Stage Presence (25%) Does the contestant have command of the stage (area of performance) and is there a sense of rapport with the audience, overall presentation, and showmanship.
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook